If you want to send a unique gift from Zagreb to friends and family, what could this gift be?
We carried this question to two gift shops in the upper town and here are our unique discoveries and recommendation.
First shop was Kredenca where we met Ana, a clever talented seller, knows the story behind each Item in the shop. She took us around the uniquely designed shop as it resembles a vintage Croatian kitchen. The products we got introduced to were handmade by local farmers and small manufacturers, not possible to find in supermarkets.
Then we head to Crop gift shop, where we met Željka. She opened this shop a year ago with her husband after traveling around Croatia searching for handmade authentic high quality products. The shop was also a chance for her to apply her studies in food technology.
Now back to our question what gift can you send from Zagreb?
Here is a unique list of gift ideas:
– Truffles (Wild mushrooms): White / black Truffles (Tartufi)
Truffle is a wild natural product, grows in some parts of Croatia and Italy under the ground, and can be found with the aid of female pigs or truffle dogs.
Truffle spreads, Truffle oils, Liquer with Truffle, Sausages with truffles,…. the options are endless.
– Handmade sea salt with or without herbs.
– Dark chocolate with cheese
– Chocolate with fruits, nuts, lavender ….
– Natural cosmetics, hand creams, massage oils.
– Dried figs, figs cake or figs jam.
– Handmade Jams
– Handmade honey
– Handmade cheese
– Liquor with fruit, honey, chocolate, spices, herbs.
– Handmade Kitchen apron inspired by Croatian grandmothers.
– Handmade uniquely designed Tie (cravat) named after an item from 17th-century in the uniform of Croatian soldiers a military unit known as the Croats during what was called the Thirty Years’ War. Over the years it started to develop in different nations to the known modern tie shape.
– Trivet for hot pots/ dishes made of the Glagolitic alphabet
The modern Croatian language uses the Latin alphabet. Before switching completely to Latin in the 19th century they used the Glagolitic alphabeth – Croatian: GLAGOLJICA.
– Licitar Heart: Licitar is colorfully decorated cake / bread made of honey dough. was handmade by the Croatian mothers and used sometimes for decorating their Christmas tree.
It is now made of edible ingredients and can be eaten, but maybe better to keep this beauty for the memory.
– Penkala PEN : Slavoljub Eduard Penkala who was a Croatian, developed the mechanical pencil and the first solid-ink fountain pen Collaborating with an entrepreneur by the name of Edmund Moster, he started the Penkala-Moster Company and built a pen-and-pencil factory that was one of the biggest in the world at the time. This company, now called TOZ Penkala, still exists today.
– Champagne bottle burried under the Adriatic sea for more than 6 months, producing a high quality Champaign (UNIQUE)
– Murano glass souvenir: The Murano glass is glass made on the Venetian island of Murano, which has specialized in fancy glasswares for centuries. Designs are Croatian handmade more on http://becraft.eu/
– Fridge Magnets
– Handmade cards
Crop: Ivana Tkalcica 28
Kredenca Gift Shop: Radićeva 13
Have more Ideas for gifts? Don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
More photos on FACEBOOK